This page has been set up to help provide a centralized location for information and resources for those affected by the recent gas explosions and subsequent fires and evacuations in the Merrimack Valley (Lawrence, Andover, North Andover) on 9/13/18. The page is being updated by volunteers. Please be patient with us as we try to do our best to keep the information current and up-to-date. We will do our best to curate and verify all information.
To submit a resource, email the following to email@example.com
- organization name
- short description of services
For business recovery resources, click here.
Updated: 11:45 AM, Wednesday, October 10, 2018
City of Lawrence:
IMPORTANT CONTACT INFO
- Affected Customer Helpline: 866-388-3239
- Property Claims Helpline: 800-590-5571
- Gas Emergency: 800-525-8222
- Job Fair Hotline: 866-960-7285
Mayor’s Office: 978-620-3010
State Representative Juana Matias’ Office: 617-722-2582
Attorney General’s Anti-Fraud Hotline: 617-727-2200
MEMA: mass211.org or call 211
Joint Meeting: Mount Vernon Neighborhood Association + South Lawrence West Neighborhood Association (Elks Lodge, 652 Andover St, Lawrence) Wednesday, October 10th at 6:30PM
Division of Insurance will hold info sessions on Oct 11th on how to file disaster-related insurance claims: http://bit.ly/2Cb7ivo
- Andover 9AM-10:30AM Andover Town Offices, Board of Selectmen's Meeting Room (36 Bartlett St, Andover)
- North Andover 11AM-12:30PM North Andover Town Hall, Board of Selectmen's Meeting Room (120 Main St, North Andover)
- Lawrence 6:30-8PM Lawrence High School, Performing Arts Auditorium (70-71 North Parish Rd, Lawrence)
ECCF RELIEF FUND OPENS TO THOSE IN AFFECTED AREA
Beginning Wednesday, Oct. 3, the application process for the Fund’s financial resources will be open and those in the impacted area may apply in three ways, all of which are available in both English and Spanish:
1. Online at www.GLDRF.org (Link will be live Oct. 3; this is the fastest and easiest way to apply.)
- Greater Lawrence Disaster Relief FAQs and Application Information - In English
- Greater Lawrence Disaster Relief FAQs and Application Information - En Espanol
2. Over the phone by dialing 2-1-1, for those who cannot apply online
3. In person for anyone in need of assistance at one of three drop-in application centers:
Lawrence: Relief’s In – 1 Market Street, Lawrence (limited parking)
Wednesday, Oct. 3 - 10:00am – 8:00pm
Thursday, Oct. 4 - 10:00am – 8:00pm
Friday, Oct. 5 - 10:00am – 8:00pm
Saturday, Oct. 6 - 9:00am – 2:00pm
Sunday, Oct. 7 - Closed
Monday, Oct. 8 - Closed (Columbus Day)
Tuesday, Oct. 9 - 10:00am – 8:00pm
Wednesday, Oct. 10 - 10:00am – 8:00pm
Thursday, Oct. 11 - 10:00am – 8:00pm
Friday, Oct. 12 - Closed (prior event at location)
Saturday, Oct. 13 - 9:00am – 2:00pm
Days and hours vary by location. If visiting a Drop-In Center please bring a proper ID. Please visit www.eccf.org/GLDisasterReliefFund for hours of operation and ID documents.
Regardless of application method (online, 211 or in-person), applicants will be notified within 3-5 business days regarding the status of their application.
MOBILE RESOURCE CENTER
DIDN'T RECEIVE A HOT PLATE OR A NOTE ON YOUR DOOR TO PICK ONE UP? Hot plates will be available at each the Claims Centers See Claims Center updates
Where to File a Claim
1) Over the Phone
- Call 1-800-590-5571 and a representative will take your contact information. You can call to file your claim or check status 24/7.
- Within 24 hours a claims representative will call you to start the process.
2) In Person - Visit one of the three Property Claims Centers near you. You do not have to restrict yourself to the center in your city/town.
Andover (20 Main Street, Andover, MA 01810)
- Monday through Friday - 12 p.m. to 8 p.m.
- Saturday - 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Lawrence (439 South Union Street, Lawrence, MA 01843 aka 1 Heritage Place)
- Monday through Friday - 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.
- Saturday - 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- North Andover (115 Main Street, North Andover, MA 01845)
- Tuesday through Friday - 12 p.m. to 8 p.m.
- Saturday - 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Baker-Polito Admin, @MassEMA, Local Officials, @ColumbiaGasMA Announce Housing Options for Impacted Customers Who Choose Not to Remain in their Homes During Restoration Efforts. To be placed call: 1-800-590-5571. More details: http://bit.ly/2OaTKr0
- Nearby Listings Managed by Community Teamwork, Inc. This website is designed to connect apartment hunters with available apartments. Landlords currently being recruited to post their vacancies.
- ACT Lawrence (530 Broadway, Lawrence): Housing counseling, First Time Home Buyer Assistance
- Cor Unum Meal Center (118 South Broadway, Lawrence) 978-688-8900
- City of Lawrence - Inspectional Services (PAID) is in need of a clerical person to help with processing and posting gas and plumbing permits at an emergency site in Andover, MA. The Emergency Office is open 7AM-7PM
- ECCF Greater Lawrence Disaster Relief Fund needs volunteers at the Application Help Drop-In locations. To find out more about volunteer roles needed at the Andover, North Andover and South Lawrence sites, visit: signupgenius.com/go/GLDRFVolunteer.
- Lawrence Methuen Community Coalition (LMCC) (130 Parker St, lower level, Lawrence)
- Coats for all ages/genders
- Fleece/Sweatershirts for all ages/genders
- New Corckpots
- Drop-off: Monday-Friday 8:30AM-4:30PM
- Lawrence Senior Center (155 Haverhill St, Lawrence) 978-620-3540
- Gift Cards
- Lawrence YMCA Food Pantry (40 Lawrence Street, Lawrence) Open Thursdays 4-6pm updates
- Household cleaning items
- Canned chicken
- Lazarus House (412 Hampshire St, Lawrence)
- Non-perishable or microwavable food items
- Gift Cards to Market Basket ($50 or less)
- Essex County Communty Foundation Greater Lawrence Emergency Fund
- United Way of Mass. Bay and Merrimack Valley Greater Lawrence Relief Fund
- Groundwork Lawrence Lawrence Relief Fund
SNAP Benefits Replacement:
- Info & Download Form
- By Mail: DTA Document Processing Center P.O. Box 4406, Taunton, MA 02780‐0420, By fax: (617) 887‐8765, In person at your local DTA office.
- Cor Unum (191 Salem St, Lawrence) 7 DAYS A WEEK!
- BREAKFAST 6-8AM
- DINNER 4:30-6:30PM
- Lazarus House (412 Hampshire St, Lawrence)
- Good Shepherd Soup Kitchen (260 Park St, Lawrence) 978-689-8575
- BREAKFAST 8:30-9:30AM
- LUNCH 11:30AM-1PM
- Bread & Roses Soup Kitchen (58 Newbury St, Lawrence) 978-681-8768
- MONDAY-THURSDAY & SATURDAY
- DINNER 5-7PM
ONGOING FOOD PANTRIES
- Thursdays 4-6PM | Lawrence YMCA Food Pantry | 40 Lawrence Street, Lawrence
- Lawrence Senior Center 155 Haverhill St, Lawrence
- Tuesdays 8:30-9:30AM | Iglesia Adventista Del Septimo Dia Jerusalem (So. Congregational) | 198 S. Broadway, Lawrence
- Tuesdays 10-11AM | Christ United Methodist Church | 207 Haverhill St, Lawrence
- Tuesdays 5:30-6:30PM | Methuen Public Schools Family Resource Center | 10 Ditson Place, Methuen
- Every other Tuesday 10-11AM | The People's Pantry @ Old Center Hall | 3 Great Pond Rd, North Andover 978-687-7948
- Wednesdays 8:30-9:30AM | Ministerio Aposolico Jesucristo es el Senor | 96 E Haverhill St, Lawrence
- Wednesdays 10-11AM | Methuen Arlington Neighborhood Association, Inc. | 141 Tenney St, Methuen
- Wednesdays 10AM-2PM | Lazarus House/St. Martha's Pantry | 242 Hampshire St, Lawrence
- Thursdays 8:30-9:30AM | Iglesia Adventista Del Septimo Dia | 297 South Union St, Lawrence
- Thursdays 10-11AM | Boys & Girls Club | 136 Water St, Lawrence
- Thursdays 4-5PM | Andover Senior Center | 30 Whittier Court, Andover
- Fridays 8:30-9:30AM | Third Baptist Church | 22 Warren St, Lawrence
- BJ's Whole Sale Club is offering Lawrence, Andover and North Andover residents access to shop BJ's Wholesale Club with no membership fee to help rebuild after the recent gas explosions. Non-members can sign up for a free three-month trial. Sign ups will be at the Haverhill, MA club located at 25 Shelley Road. The Haverhill BJ's has also donated food, water and hygiene products to shelters and drop-off areas.
- Greater Lawrence Family Health Center Farmers Market
- Bradford Place Cafe (151 S Main St, Bradford) 978-702-4505 Offiering free breakfst and coffee for those displaced. Also have free Wi-Fi
- CocoRay's (197 Parker St, Lawrence) Discounts for South Lawrence residents and a free meal for those affected by the fires.
- Andover Senior Center (30 Whittier Ct, Andover): Handicapped shower stalls available. Staffed by Medical Reserve Corp.
- By appointment. Ask for Anne Mary.
- Boys & Girls Club (136 Water St, Lawrence)
- Monday - Friday 9AM-11AM
- House of Mercy (85 Bay State Rd, Lawrence): bring flip flops
- South Lawrence East School (165 Crawford St, Lawrence)
- Daily 6 to 10 a.m. and 4 to 8 p.m.
- Lawrence Housing Authority (319 Salem St, Lawrence)
- Daily 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Lawrence Housing Authority (100 Market St, Lawrence)
- Daily 6 to 10 p.m. and 4 to 8 p.m.
- Lawrence Housing Authority (212-236 South Union St, Lawrence)
- Daily 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Lawrence Housing Authority (190-198 Andover St, Lawrence)
- Daily 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Lazarus House (260 Park St, Lawrence): One shower stall available
- Monday, Wednesday, Friday 8AM-11AM
- Latitude Sports Club (116 Pleasant Valley St, Methuen). Must show ID
- YMCA Lawrence (40 Lawrence St, Lawrence): Must bring swimsuit and flip-flops. Parents should accompany their children at all times - do not send alone.
- Monday - Thursday 5AM-10PM
- Friday 5AM-9PM
- Saturday 5AM-6PM
- Sunday 6AM-2PM
- YMCA Andover (165 Haverhill St, Andover)
- Monday - Thursday 5AM-10PM
- Friday 5AM-9AM
- Saturday - Sunday 6AM-8PM
The following are for the students and/or faculty/staff of the following schools:
- Gr. Lawrence Technical High School: Showers & Laundry available for GLTS students
- Lawrence High School: showers available for students and staff. Towels provided by Lawrence General Hospital. Please bring your own toiletries.
- Staff 5AM-7AM
- Students 7AM-8AM
- Students 3PM-6PM
- Northern Essex Community College - avilable for NECC students, faculty, staff on Haverhill Campus (100 Elliott St, Haverhill) in the Sports & Fitness Center. Free shuttle from Lawrence to Haverhill and back available to students.
- Monday-Thursday 9AM-6PM
- Friday 9AM-3PM
Merrimac Car Wash & Laundromat (21 Burnham Road, Methuen): 9/24/18-9/30/18 "In an effort to support our friends in the Merrimack Valley, who have been devastated by the gas explosions, we will be providing free dryers from September 24th through the 30th."
- Debbie's Treasure Chest (15 Union Street, Door B, Lawrence)
- Friday 9/28/18 from 10AM-2PM
- Lawrence Public Schools (LPS) will be giving out school uniforms to students affected by the fire
- Progress Clothing will be giving out professional clothes for those affected by the fire and need to return to work. By appointment. 978-566-9332
- YMCA Lawrence (40 Lawrence St, Lawrence) has some clothes available as well
Voters seeking an absentee ballot can call the city’s Election Division at 978-620-3294.
Early voting will occur weekdays in the City Council chambers from Oct. 22 through Nov. 2, from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.; on Saturday, Oct. 27, from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.; and on Sunday, Oct. 28, from 10 a.m to 2 p.m.
The MSPCA (400 Broadway, Methuen) is providing a safe place for pets of people displaced by the emergency. Please contact them directly: 978-687-7453
ELECTRIC UTILITY HELP:
National Grid will be providing discounted rates to those in the affected areas.
The discounted rate will be provided if the customer provides proof of benefits. We will enroll have them fill out the application and take the proof of benefits on site and enroll them.
If the customer is on the discount rate, owes over $300, is 60 days overdue, has not participated in the program within the past 2 years - they can enroll in AMP where we forgive the balance a portion at a time.
Payment plans will be offered to customers that do not qualify for AMP. We will provide manageable plans to pay off overdue balances
Protections – we have 3 different protections
- Elderly – everyone in the household is over 62 years old and they provide proof of age there account can be protected from termination
- Medical – if the doctor submits a medical letter along with a financial hardship statement if they are not on the discount rate stating they need the power for medical reasons there account will be protected from termination
- Infant – if they have a child that is under 12 months old the account will be protected from termination until the child turns 1 years old. They have to provide a copy of the birth certificate and financial hardship statement if they are not on the discount rate
- Family Services of the Merrimack Valley (430 North Canal St, Lawrence)
- Provides individual and group mental health counseling, mentoring for youth, parenting groups and trauma services. Most services are bilingual.
- Lawrence Methuen Community Coalition (LMCC) (130 Parker St, Lawrence)
- Support groups around parenting, addiction issues and can expand topics to included dealing with this crisis and secondary trauma for volunteers.
- All services are bilingual
- Massachusetts Health Connector to provide premium waivers to residents and businesses in Lawrence, Andover, and North Andover impacted by Columbia Gas Accident.
- Gr. Lawrence Community Action Council (GLCAC) is partnering with the Massachusetts Health Connector to help members who were impacted by the Columbia Gas incident. The Health Connector is offering premium waivers for up to three months for individual members and Health Connector for Business members who need assistance.
- Members can secure a waiver by contacting the Health Connector’s customer service center at 877-623-6765 or GLCAC’s Navigator program at 978-620-4784. Members will need to attest on the call that they are impacted by the Sept. 13 incident.
- Northeast Indepedent Living Program (20 Ballard Rd, Lawrence)
- Has peer support groups for individuals with mental health issues.
- Open to the public.
- Northern Essex Community College EMPLOYEES: Counseling Available
- "In support of all faculty and staff who were affected by the gas explosions, fires, power outages and displaced from their homes, we want to remind employees about support services available through our Employee Assistance Program, Higher Ed EAP. Through their Trauma Response services, trained counselors and other certified personnel ready to respond to the needs of those affected by this disaster. Free and confidential telephone counseling, is available 24/7 by calling the professional counselors at 1-800-252-4555 or 1-800-225-2527. (Please mention Northern Essex Community College as your employer.)"
- The Point After Club (15 Union St, Lawrence)
- A DMH-funded program that serves individual with mental health issues using the Club House model. In order to attend, individuals must meet DMH criteria but do not have to enroll as members.
- Services include social connections, meals, job placement assistance, peer support and activities.
- Spanish speaking staff available.
- South Bay Community Services is prioritizing individuals affected by the diasaster
- Crisis intervention services
- What's Good in the Hood - "a platform/online publication where we encourage folks to send in writing, op-ed’s, or art relating to this tragedy. In order to heal, we must heal together. Submit to firstname.lastname@example.org, follow us on Facebook and Twitter @lawrencewgith"
- Manos en Accion/My Little Peru (264 Essex St, Lawrence)
- Offers classes on handmade crafts for women in children in order to provide therapeutic social connections and opportunities for individuals to learn new skills & potentially earn money from their cradt.
- Hosted in Spanish.
- Zumba Fitness with Mary @ Izizwe Dance Studio (50 Island St, Entry B, Lawrence) Thursdays 7:30PM
- 10 Free Classes to South Lawrence, Andover & North Andover Residents;
- 5 Free Classes to those who live elsewhere but their fitness schedule was disrupted during the disaster when you donate a food item or gift card that will be brought to the Senior Center as the central donation hub.
- Iglesia De Dios De La Prosecia (54 East Haverhill St, Lawrence)
- Offers youth education, physical education/baseball, and mentoring.
- They also have a very unique program to support the deaf/mute community.
- Services in English, Spanish and American Sign Language (ASL)
- Christ United Methodis Church (Haverhill)
- Has a "Justice for Neighbors Program" that has a full-time lawyer that works on legal issues including: unaccompanied monors, orientation of new families, school issues and domestic violence.
- Also has 3 full-size soccer fields that are available for the community/recreational use.
- Free Methodist Church ()
- Counseling program available for families Monday-Friday where participants receive intensive support/outreach.
- this is a collaboration of 3 churchs and those involved receive contact twice daily either via phone or in person to support their needs.
- Iglesia Metodista Primitiva ()
- Provides counseling to individuals/couples/groups on Sunday afternoons with food and qualified childcare. Group can meet more frequently if needed.
- Methodist Church ()
- Offers indidivual and group therapy in both traditional and faith-based atmospheres.
- There are also members of the congregation who are therapists that are willing to volunteer their services.
- Seventh Day Adventist Church ()
- Offers counseling services by their certified counselors. Bilingual.
Northeast LegaL Aid (50 Island St, 2nd fl, Lawrence) Free Legal Help for Elderly and Low-Income Residents
- Northeast Legal Aid (NLA) is a non-profit law office, often referred to "legal aid." NLA handles a wide range of civil cases for low in-come and elderly clients in Essex and Northern Middlesex Counties. In some cases, we provide you with a lawyer to represent you. For other kinds of cases, we may provide you with information and help so that you can take of the matter on your own. NLA services are free. Because NLA has limited funding, it can only some kinds of legal problems and unfortunately, we do not have enough staff to accept all cases. NLA provides civil legal services in the areas of:
- Elderly Law
- Family Law
- Landlord/Tenant Law
- Consumer Law
- Public Benefits Law (TAFDC, EAEDC, MassHealth, Food Stamps/SNAP, Social Security)
- Employment Law
- Small Business Assistant
- CORI Sealing
- Legal Assistance to victims of crime
- CONTACT: 800-336-2262 or 978-458-1465. NortheastLegalAid.org